Willoughby Cricket Club took opportunity to reflect on a successful and enjoyable season on and off-the-pitch on Saturday at the club's Annual Presentation Evening.
Another excellent attendance spanning all sections of the club, from the junior and youth cricketers and their parents to WCC's senior/adult cricketers and club officials and friends, filled Willoughby Village Hall to look back on a very productive 2018 season.
The club's Under 13 and 14 players were presented with club medals from Rob Cartridge, as well as an entertaining array of specialist gifts and awards from some of the 'champagne moments' of their campaign.
Next up the club's 'double-winning' Under 15 players were presented with their league winners, cup winners and club medals, plus several man of the match awards were awarded from the Lads v Dads fixture and two Norfolk tour games. Derek Middlemiss was also presented with a gift from the Under 15 players and parents for his efforts.
It was then the turn of the 2018 Saturday captains, Badj Rahman (2nd XI) and Ben Hollis (1st XI), to deliver their speeches and present the following awards:-
- Saturday 1st XI Batting – Ashley Rayner
- Saturday 1st XI Bowling – Ashley Rayner
- Saturday 1st XI Captain’s Player of the Year – Dave Alcock
- Saturday 2nd XI Batting – James Goodwin
- Saturday 2nd XI Bowling – Kamesh Ganti
- Saturday 2nd XI Captain’s Player of the Year – James Goodwin
Centurion ties were also awarded to Tom Stevenson, Kamesh Ganti, and Richard Foxon, with ties also to be given to Alex Proudman and Manny Sidhu (from 2017).
Willoughby's Ladies Tip & Run were also presented to the audience in recognition of their fine efforts in winning the Tip and Run League.
It was then the turn of Club President and Treasurer, Eric Palmer, as Chairman of the Willoughby Taverners Committee to present the following awards:
- Senior Player of the Year – Ashley Rayner
- Junior/Youth Player of the Year – Jake Quinney and Tom Stevenson
- Fielder of the Year – Hassan Nawaz
- Clubman of the Year – Karl Quinney
- Wooden Spoon (for most senior ducks) – Callum Hanks and James Andrews
Willoughby CC Chairman Brian Hall then took to the floor and paid a sterling tribute to the late Tony Adkins who suddenly passed away earlier in the year; with a minute's applause then impeccably observed by all in the room.
There then followed a floral presentations to Becci Fell, Glenys Rowe and Beryl Hallam in recognition of their wonderful efforts during the course of the season.
There was however one last presentation by Mark and Becci Fell on behalf of the Under 15 players and parents to your correspondent, in respect of the coming to a close of 7 years as team manager and 18 for the club as coach, manager and youth cricket coordinator.
Overall, a great club evening and get together for the Willoughby Cricket family.
Photos from the evening can be found here
Notable points from the season:
- Saturday 2nd XI - South Northants Cricket League Division 4 Champions.
- Under 15s - Rugby and District Cricket League Under 15 League Champions + Under 15 KO Cup winners.
- Willoughby Ladies - Rugby and District Tip & Run League Champions
Updated 20:39 - 22 Nov 2018 by Karl Quinney